It is possible that there may have been a small church in Newick in Saxon times, perhaps of wood, close to the house of the Thane (or Squire). In those far
off days Thane were expected to erect churches on their own lands. Records reveal that there certainly was a church in Newick at the end of the 11th century. The oldest part which can now be seen is the South Wall, on either side of the Porch, extending from the Tower to the first buttress. Because the Church was subsequently extended in every other direction, this is the only original wall which remains from the early Norman period. An examination of the exterior of this part of the South Wall of the Nave will show that it is distinctly of a different character and much earlier date than the Tower and the remainder of the Nave and Chancel. The stones are a brownish iron sandstone, unshapely, and the surface of the wall is irregular. Near the roof of the South Porch is the only remaining Norman Window. It is small, with a semi-circular head cut in a single stone, and the jambs are composed of only two large stones on each side, and three smaller ones to form the sill. This part of the wall and window are early Norman, probably about 1080. An old photograph of the Church show that the window was later filled in with brick, and was only unbricked and glazed in the late nineteenth century.
The only really ancient stained glass is to be found in the Chancel, where there are two 14th century medallion windows at the top of the two windows on the South Wall. It is considered that the one above the Rector's stall is the original, and the other a contemporary copy. Both show the Agnus Dei-the representation of Christ under the form of a Lamb bearing a banner or staff.
The main window is of course the East Window. Its theme is the Ascended and Enthroned Christ surrounded by Angels, Apostles, Prophets and Martyrs. It was erected in 1901 in memory of Anna Carew Powell, first wife of the Rector, the Rev. Clement Powell. Mr. Frank Mann, the artist, painted her features in the right hand light of the window. She is dressed in red. Just below her, there is a girl with golden hair said to be Hilda Deacon, who died at Beechland aged 16 years, there is a beautiful window to her memory near the Font. Above Mrs. Powell may be seen the features of Bishop Durnford of Chichester, and to the right of his mitre the profile of Queen Victoria. In the left hand light there are among others Mary and Joseph, Mary Magdalene, and King David with his harp.
There are two very fine windows near the Organ. One illustrates the 150th Psalm with angels and musical instruments, perhapsthe most lovely in the Church. The other "Born of the Virgin Mary" is a Burne-Jones' window. The "Golden Window" in the West end looks at its very best at sunset. The newest window is the third one from the front in the N. Aisle, depicting Elijah andElisha. This was made by Ian Mcfarlane of Cox & Barnard of Hove, and was dedicated in April 1986.
1288 Richard le Waythe
1350 Vac: Walter Marscall
1350 Thomas Glanvyle
1357 Stephen Michaelhagh
1389 Exch: Robert Catour
1389 Thomas Yatescombc
1416 Exch: Robert Underwood
1416 John Heerde
1416 Thomas Cherbury
1417Thomas Stoure
1417 Simon Bury
1479 John Duffy
1479 Richard Goodale
1490 Alexander Byrde
1510 D: Thomas Heth
1510 William Stydolf
1524 Edward Willisford
1534 James Drury
1545 Edward Crakell
1557 Anthony Shawe
1559 Humphrey Higgons
1567 Roger Hall
1593 John Reale
1613 Thomas Doe
1644 D: John Markham
1644 Joseph Gosson
1672 Richard Wilkins
1690 Joseph Hoyle
I 711 Vincent Cooper
1734 Charles Dixon
1754 William Baynes
1769 Joseph Matthews
1784 Rowland Dawkins Mansel
1789 Henry Clutton
1818 Thomas Baden Powell
1868 William Powell
1885 Clement Powell
1919 William H. Wright
1926 G. F. G. Rochfort-Wade
1928 Arthur Thomas Reed
1936 S. E. Linley Olver
1944 J. G. R. Northridge
1947 Eric K. Andrews
1956 Gordon E. Diamond
1973 John P. Baker
2014 Peter Francis
2016 PIC: James Hollingsworth
2020 Paul Mundy